How can you get rid of used hearing aids? The answer is always the same whether you decide to upgrade to a more advanced model like cochlear implants or you got them from a deceased relative: your used hearing aids need to be donated versus throwing them away.
There are several organizations that collect and circulate used hearing aids to people who could really use them, and there are many people who need them. Keep reading to learn how and why to donate pre-owned hearing aids.
Why It’s Important to Donate a Used Hearing Aid
- Of the total populace, around 14% suffer from some type of hearing loss
- 91% of adults suffering from loss of hearing are above the age of 50
- 15% of school-age children have some form of hearing loss
- Almost 29 million adults with hearing loss can benefit from hearing aids, but…
- …only 16% (4.6 million) of them actually make use of hearing aids
- First time hearing aid users have an average age of 70, but again…
- Of those people over 70 who require hearing aids, less than 30% percent have ever used them
I think we should be worried. Because untreated hearing loss has been linked to several health problems from an increased risk of falling to mental decline and depression. The value of your hearing to your overall health is supported by new studies coming out all of the time. Getting hearing aids can lessen these health issues (and in some instances even reverse them).
And loss of hearing will cost the typical family up to $12,000 every year which should be a very compelling fact. But hearing aids can actually mitigate that cost by as much as 50%.
For a family that loses out on $12,000 every year, it may just not be feasible for them to afford a hearing aid.
Your old hearing aid can have an enormous effect, in the health, quality of life and financial well-being, for an individual in need who couldn’t otherwise afford a hearing aid. It might also help a child in school who has difficulty hearing, which could affect their ability to get into college and make a livable wage when they’re older.
Donating Your Used Hearing Aids
Old hearing aids are recycled and distributed by lots of manufacturers and volunteer groups. Come and talk with us so we can advise you on the right recycling option for you. Or give us a call.